All your questions Answered in one place

How long do I need to study to learn English?

This depends on the level you start at, what your native language is and how hard you work! An absolute beginner can usually reach a strong intermediate level in 9-12 months.

How many hours a week do I have to study?

You can choose! You can study on a part time or full time basis. Part time courses are 4/6/8/ hours per week. Full time courses are 10/15/20/25 hours per week.

What times are the lessons?

Our classes run between 8:30 – 20:30. We have classes at the following times, 9:00-11:00, 11:15 - 13:15, 14:00-15:00. We have additional part time courses in the evenings 18:30-20:30.

How long is a lesson?

All our classes run on full hours 1 hour=60 minutes.

What levels of English do you have?

There are classes for every level from beginner to advanced.

Do you have exam classes? Do you have IELTS, FCE, CAE?

Yes! Our ACHIEVE classes focus on the skills you need for the exams.

Can I design my own course?

Absolutely! This is the concept at ABLE – you can build a course to meet your exact needs. In order to do this you will work closely with our directors and academic manager to make sure you can achieve your objectives.

How long can I study at the school?

As long as you want – the minimum is 1 week and you can stay for 52 weeks if you want!

Are their periods for self-study?

Yes, you can study before or after your class, in our self study area or in an empty classroom. If you would like additional resources please ask your teachers!

What is the maximum number of students in a class?

The maximum number of students in a class is 15. However, often it is far less than this.

Are all your staff qualified?

All of our staff have a degree and Celta or equivalent, details of our staff can be found on the team section of our website. For further information please contact the Directors.

When can I start?

Whenever you want! However Monday is the best day as this is when the majority of our students start and means you won’t miss any of that weeks work!.

How do I enrol?

Complete the contact form online, give us a call or drop in and see us. The school will then contact you to discuss your needs – its really simple!

Do you have trial classes?

Yes, you can try a full day of classes before you start and its completely free!

When do I have to pay?

For full time courses, you have to pay before you arrive in England or if you are already here after your trial day.

How do I pay?

You can pay by cash, card or bank transfer.

Can I pay weekly or monthly instead of all at once?

If you are an EU citizen you can spread the cost of your course. You can pay monthly in advanced.

How do I book a course from outside the UK?

To secure your place you must pay a 25% deposit on booking with the balance to be paid, course and accommodation, 14 days before arrival.

What is your cancellation policy?

Our cancellation policy is as follows: • up to 60 days before the course begins; lose deposit • 30 days to 15 days 33% of the total invoice • 14 days to 8 days 66% of the total invoice • 7 days to 3 days 75% of the total invoice • 2 days or less 100% of the total invoice

What is your refund policy?

If the school is closed for a Bank Holiday during your course, we will arrange your lessons for another day wherever possible. Failing this we will refund that day’s course fees. If you decide to shorten your course, the fees you have paid for unused weeks can be neither transferred nor refunded. Refunds will be made directly to the bank account or to the individual who made the initial deposit/tuition fee payment.

Are books included in the course price?

No, they are not. If a book is required, students have to buy the book themselves.

What is the enrolment fee for?

The enrolment fee is only paid the first time you study in the school. This does not apply to EU nationals or anyone with a UK residence permit. It pays for the level tests and administration for when you are first registered with the school.

How old do I need to be to enrol at the school?

The minimum age for enrolment is 16. Please note, that while we are happy to accept 16 and 17 year olds, we cannot be held responsible for their safety when they are not in class or on social activities.

Do have to pay to take the Cambridge exams, or is this included in the price?

External examinations are not included in the cost of the course, they are an additional payment which you would make directly to the exam centre.

When is the school closed?

The school is closed for all public holidays and for two weeks at Christmas. 2019 Bank Holidays are as follows: 22nd April, 6th May, 27th May, 26th August, 20th December - 6th January Bank Holidays for 2020 are as follows: 10th April 13th April 4th May 25th May 31st August 19th December - 4th January

Do you have social events for students?

Yes we have many different social events! Take a look at our social programme either in school or online.

Do I have to pay for social events?

ABLE tries to combine, free and paid social events. The cost of any social event will be advised before going.

Do you arrange accommodation for students?

Yes, we do – we can arrange homestay, residences and hotels and hostels. Take a look at our accommodation page.

Can you arrange a taxi to pick me up at the airport?

Of course! You just need to let us know when you book your course.

Can you organise special food for me – halal, kosher, vegan??

Yes, we can do this without a problem. Lots of our host families understand the importance of this and will prepare your food specially. However, because it is a little more difficult to buy this food we do charge a supplement – see our accommodation page.

Do you arrange accommodation for under 18s?

No, while we accept bookings for under 18s, we cannot arrange accommodation for them. Students aged 16-17 must have their own accommodation arranged with a parent or guardian.

Do you use an agency to arrange accommodation?

No, all accommodation is arranged by our directors, Alicja and Andrew.

Do I have to pay a security deposit for the accommodation?

For the homestay and student apartment you do not, for the student residence you may have to do this and you will be notified of the full cost before you enrol.

I don’t know which accommodation to choose – which do you recommend?

Homestay is the best because you will improve your English more quickly and will experience English culture first hand!

Can I rent privately?

Yes, you can but please be aware of the implications of this more advice can be found here:

Can ABLE Manchester help me to apply for a visa?

Yes, ABLE Manchester can currently help you to apply for two visas these are:

Student Visitor Visa - 6 months

Extended Student Visitor Visa - 11 months

Both visas are simple to obtain provided that you follow the correct procedure.

How do I apply for the visa?

You need to enrol on a full time course (15 hours per week or more). You also need to find accommodation ABLE Manchester can help you to do this.

Once you have enrolled on the course you need to:

- pay 50% of your course fee + £100 administration fee if your course is over 12 weeks in length

- pay 100% of your course fee + £100 administration fee if your course is under 12 weeks in length

When this has been completed ABLE Manchester will issue you with an unconditional offer letter which you will need to apply for your visa.

What do I do next if I am applying for a Student Visitor visa?

If you are a visa national (list of visa national countries here) you will need to apply for your visa before you arrive in the UK. You will need to provide evidence that you have a return ticket home and have enough money to support yourself while in the UK, approximately £600 per month.

If you are a non-visa national (list of non-visa national countries here) you can travel to the UK as a student visitor without applying for a visa beforehand. At the border you will need to provide evidence that you have a return ticket home and have enough money to support yourself while in the UK, approximately £600 per month.

Can I work with a student visitor visa?

No, you cannot work during your stay in the UK.

Do you have an attendance policy?

Yes, you must attend 80% of your course or ABLE Manchester must inform the government that you are absent - please see our attendance policy for more information.

How long does it take to obtain a visa?

This depend on your situation but it is generally between 4 and 14 weeks.

What happens if my visa is rejected?

If your visa is rejected we will refund the amount paid i.e 50% of course fees for over 12 weeks, 100% of course fees for less than 12 weeks. The £100 administration fee will not be refunded.

Bogus Students:

Please note if you have attempted to use deception in applying for a visa through ABLE Manchester or a judged to have done so by an immigration office you will not receive a refund of any kind. This is to discourage bogus students from trying to use our school as a way to fraudulently enter the UK.


Extended Student Visitor Visa Route

Studying in the UK Visitor Visa

Didn't find the answer?